Conquer the year or cower. What is your plan for 2021?
Will you run it or will you be run over?
Most people will agree with you that 2020 was a complete gong show. Most people. Not all. Actually, few did very well this year that is closing. Very well indeed.
According to Forbes Magazine, “Despite the well-documented plight of some industries, others have been boomed during the pandemic.” Those who did include:
- Online Retailing
- Workspace Solutions companies such as Zoom (a service that we use)
- Hand sanitizing product producers
- Liquor stores
- Entertainment companies such as Netflix
Read more of the article that details how and why companies in these industries survived the 2020 pandemic here.
Conquer Or Be Conquered
There were small businesses that also thrived during the COVDI-19 pandemic. Yes, many faltered or had to shutter but there were those who weathered the storm.
The Los Angeles Times tell the story of four such businesses. These are examples of the many who managed to conquer the period.
The novel coronavirus forced strategic business pivots and the immediate invention of new ways to make money when much of the economy shut down in March.
Many firms will keep their doors open because of adaptation, determination and a certain amount of luck. Others face permanent closure because something came up short: money, time, maybe the will to keep going.
Read the stories of adaptation and determination of some small businesses here who innovated and found new ways to survive.
Know What To Throw Away And What To Keep
The word “Cow Girl” is used in this article to denote nothing more than the grit of a woman living in the wild west, on the frontiers of the USA and Canada in the 1800s.
That is what, in my opinion, the year 2021 might very well be like. A new frontier.
Women and men of course, with brave hearts and the will to thrive, will be the ones who truly conquer. It will take certain skills, drive, innovation and determination, such as the ones displayed by the small businesses described earlier.
It brings to mind the famous song, The Gambler. Although describing someone sitting at a table of gamblers, one can hardly miss the relevance to the table that we all are about to sit at in 2021.
Know When To Hold, Fold, Walk Away And When To Run
Just to be clear, these skills apply not only to business owners of whatever size companies. These are skills that everyone who wishes to make the most of the year ahead can and ought to employ.
If you are a follower of our Facebook or Instagram profile and account, you will know that one of my most often repeated saying about 2020 is, “If this year has taught us nothing, it has taught us that (fill in the blank).”
Come January 1, 2021, in all spheres of your and my life, we will need to know when:
- To hold onto situations, things or people. We will need to determine who and/or what will enhance our growth and we theirs. That takes wisdom and insight skills. You will need to be finely attuned to your desires and dreams in order to delineate who and what will support your growing into those dreams. The same is true for the other side. Whose dreams are you able and willing to support without a doubt or hesitation in 2021?
- To fold some relationships whether intimate, professional of personal/friendships. “For everything, there is a season,” and as harsh as it might seem, not everyone or everything that are currently in your life will serve you in this new season.
- To walk away. Some hands are simply not winnable or viable. You have to understand that when you are an item on the menu or when love is not being served at a particular table, it is time to walk away. Staying will only stop your growth.
- To run. Once you have identified the killer tables, so to speak, run. Waste no more time second-guessing yourself or your instinct.
Cow Girls Become Boss Women
That is how we are going to conquer in 2021. No matter what comes, once our intentions are set, as described in a previous post, you (and I) will be indomitable.
One of our focuses for 2021 is to celebrate women. We will do so by supporting you in any way that we can and is needed. Support comes in all sorts of ways and we hope that you, having set your intentions, are first ready to offer support to your inner cowgirl. Learn the skills that you need and put your learning into practice.
As the song suggests, you have to gain or cultivate the skill that a successful poker player has in knowing when to stay in or drop out of a hand. Whether it is in all business or personal situations, we all in this new year must know when to stay in a particular battle or drop out and fight another day.
Peace and Love,