Help Us Help A Student Go Back To School
As the education of children all across our world is hard hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, some schools are discussing how to reopen while many have already decided to remain closed.
Far too many parents in Jamaica simply cannot afford the alternative to in-school learning. Daughters of Sheba Foundation has decided to help.
We are seeking donation to help 10-20 Jamaican children to access online learning. Already, private donors have stepped forward but if we are to meet our target, we need your help!
- “We are greatly appreciative of this initiative. We are hereby confirming our participation as we are certain our selected students will benefit significantly from this act of kindness.” Those are the words Daughters of Sheba Foundation received from the Principal of Gibraltar All-Age School, located in St. Ann, Jamaica. She was responding to our formal invitation to be the recipient school for this Student Data Grant Campaign.
- We received a list of nine (9) children PLUS their siblings from Gibraltar All-Age School although we told them we had enough donations for only three. After deliberating, we decided to go ahead with seven (7) children along with their siblings who will access the data through hot spots. Last night, October 12, 2020, data was sent to three of the seven. The others will receive once their parents sort technical issues on their data accounts. Therefore, to date, we are helping four students in total, as on October 1, 2020 data was sent to 3-year-old Adam’s mother as a special case.
3. All seven (7) children from Gibraltar All-Age School have now received data for the period October – November 2020. Along with Adam, we are servicing approximately 21 children! As well, we are not only C$149 short of our target but there is time for you to help us out, please and thank you!
At this point, we have received cash or pledges in the amount of C$851 as of October 23, 2020.
- Seven students at Gibraltar All-Age School plus their siblings in the month of October. As well, we provided data for one child who also lives in St. Ann but attending a different school. An approximate 21 children were reached.
- Five children at Gibraltar All-Age Schoo plus siblings in the month of November. An approximate 17 children were reached.
Student Data Grant
Our “Student Data Grant” initiative is aimed at raising funds to pay for the monthly data cost for some children in selected schools in rural Jamaica. On average, the main providers of data service on the island charges anywhere from C$20+ for 30-days.
We plan to provide this support from October 1, 2020, through to December 2020.
The aim is to raise at least US$300 monthly during that time. None of your donations will go to any administrative cost. With the child’s parents permission and if you wish, we will provide you with their contact information so that you can confirm receipt of the data. As well, again with the parents’ permission, we will be posting pictures of the students that your overall donations assisted.
Can You Help?
We have set up a campaign through Fundly to receive and process donations. Do visit the campaign and chose a giving package that fits your budget. Thank you so much!